Friday, July 3, 2009

A Day In the Life

Friday, July 3

6:45 AM - My alarm sounds and I hit the snooze button three times so I don’t get up until 7:15 AM. I use a cell phone that I bought when I first arrived in Thailand for an alarm. You only need to replace the SIM card when you go from country to country and you’re good.
I had been feeling a little under the weather with a head cold all this week, and it seemed like I had finally turned the corner.

7:45 AM – I leave the house for work, but I stop by a food stand on the side of a neighboring street for breakfast. This sweet lady at the stand grills vegetables and fruit. I normally go with grilled corn on the cob and a couple of grilled kinds of bananas, but I wasn’t feeling the corn and instead opted for the sweet potato-like veggies. Problem was that those weren’t ready to be sold yet. Hey, “Bo pen yang” which means “no problem” so I buy a couple of mini, toasted bananas and head off.

[Now, I have rented a motorbike for my time here in Vientiane. The driving exploits of the local people is a blog within itself, let alone a post, so I will just say that I love the freedom that comes with having the bike and it is quite fun to drive.]

Because I have the bike, I was able to ride around and look for another street vendor. I decided upon some rice soup that they placed in a bag for me to take. The rice soup has the consistency of a hot, milky oatmeal and it is surprisingly good. This is the type of food that I could become dependent on if I lived here for a while and then would at some later point mourn the fact that no similar equivalent exists in the States.

8:05 AM – I get to work and eat my breakfast while I check some emails, the previous night’s Cardinals’ score, and some other various news headlines. The Village Focus International office is a nice two-story building that currently holds about fifteen employees. When we see fellow workers we say “Sabaidee” which means “hello”. Some of the workers speak English very well, so we will have conversations in English throughout the day. I have my own desk with others in an open room, but I’ve taken to going downstairs to be alone so that I can get more work done. I like my alone time, and a lot of that is because I become so easily distracted with others around so I never get work done. Does that make me an introvert or extrovert?

11:00 AM – Another intern, Mike, and I were able to give a presentation to some other Lao members of the office. In Laos, they are still in the process of zoning land (forest and agriculture mainly) throughout the country, and then registering those who “own” the land. There are plans made by the government for how to effectively do this, and I gave a brief presentation on some of the changes being proposed to the current process. It is quite interesting because I am able to really see things from the policy side, and the challenge of crafting arguments that can bring in all of the stakeholders in a given situation. That is what I am getting better at by going to law school. Mike lead a discussion about the concept of community/collective title that will be introduced over the next year. That topic has generated quite a lot of buzz around Vientiane.

12:10 PM – Let’s Eat! We always eat lunch at our office, but this past week was slightly different because we had a training going on (that is who I gave the presentation to) so we all (twenty people) ate together around a long table. We stood and had communal dishes that we used spoons or sticky rice to grab the food and either eat it directly or transfer to the plate.
The laughter and joking that the co-workers in the office participate in has few equivalents to any work environments I’ve been in before. Like others in Laos, they are so laid back and enjoy sitting or standing with others, enjoying each other’s company.

4:00 PM – I am trying to give an hour of English teaching every day to members in the office. This week there was only one girl who was able to participate (see training). Her name is Loun and is working with the human trafficking division of our office. She is very smart and gets frustrated at not being able to find the right words to say in English. We then are just trying to speak as much as we can to have her feel more comfortable with conversation. She likes pop music and was sad to see MJ go. cont…

5:50 PM – I’ve gotten home from work and am hanging out with my flatmates before we head over to the party brewing across the street at our neighbors’ new hair salon. I don’t know how it has been in the U.S., but CNN International won’t stop the with the Michael Jackson stories. We had a ten-minute segment on the Neverland Ranch yesterday. I hope you can already think of why such television is ridonculous, so I’ll spare you my rants.
[note: at about 10:30 AM, I did watch two MJ videos on YouTube. His live performance of “Billie Jean” at the Grammys and then a later a performance of him dancing to Billie Jean at a concert. OK, scratch that. I watched four videos. The third was of him at a concert in Russia doing a sick, sick robot / side slide, and the fourth was him at some performance where then Usher came on and was dancing. Michael was like forty-three years old, had who knows what done to his body by then, and still made Usher look like a backup dancer for the Backstreet Boys.]

6:15 PM – me and Davis head to a local “store” to buy a crate of Beer Laos as a gift to our neighbors who will later be feeding us at their party. We decide that we can find some way to do it on one motorbike. We hadn’t done this before and we had to kind of talk ourselves into it. The local people can do it easily with just one person, but we ain’t the locals. So, Davis drives and we sit back to back as I hold a crate of empty bottles off the back end. We get to the store, but I thought that with the added weight of having full bottles, we needed a better plan. Here, they stick the crate in between the driver’s legs and it presses against the steering column of the bike. That seemed like an impossibility with one person, but a better option with two, so I sat facing forward with my arms around his sides, holding the crate in place. Davis drives impeccably and we arrive back at the house as victors. mission accomplished.

6:45 PM – we are watching the Wimbledon pre-match discussion about the men’s semifinal. I feel Federer will win easily, but I had a dream the night before where Roddick was losing to Murray, so I was a little nervous about the American’s chance. Simon, a flatemate, is British so he was pretty confident with Murray but was interested more in the Wimbledon event itself. I said that Murray was nothing but a lowly Scot, pre-madonna, who didn’t even deserve to carry the British banner, but that didn’t seem to evoke much emotion.

7:00 PM – we head over to our neighbors’ party. It is in celebration of a hair salon that officially opened. We sat around with their family and friends and had some really good chicken curry and other traditional Lao foods.

The beer Lao poured and the dancing commenced at around 9:30 in the hair salon. The dancing later moved to outside and continued until pretty late and I left around 12:00 AM, I believe. We then watched the end of the Roddick / Murray tennis match and the little guy got the job done. Well done. I never really cared about tennis too much, but I’m really pulling for Roddick.

1:00 AM – went to bed, a very good Friday.

A couple of miscellaneous notes.

- I am reading two books right now. Gilead and Morality Matters. Gilead almost got me to tears within the first five pages. It is that kind of book for me. The second is a philosophy book that is arguing that morality should be grounded commonalities found in human nature and through the guidance of natural law. It is a hard read because I struggle with most philosophy books, yet it is quite applicable to what I am currently doing and a lot of what I’ve thought about the last couple of years.

- I played a soccer game Thursday night. It was fun, and we ended in a tie which made the two gallons of sweat I lost definitely worth it. Soccer has a lot of similarities to basketball, especially defense. Also the way you have to see the field, the balance of set forms with creative playmaking, etc.

- Happy Fourth of July. I will be going to the International School for some hamburgers and hotdogs later this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the day, Jase! The motorbike sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete