Sunday, July 26, 2009

motorcycle diaries

note: I've written two posts, so after this one you'll see some pictures from my trip to Salavan Province


I’ve had requests to describe my motorbiking adventures. Remember that the things most precious to us are oft unable to be described through mere words, but I will do my best to do her justice.

I was first able to ride a moto during my week-long “immersion” week in Thailand and the mobility it gave me was something that I really wanted here in Laos. My friend Davis and I tried going through the rental agencies here in Vientiane but it was going to cost too much. Luckily we each found someone at our prospective jobs to personally rent each of us one. Mine is a beautiful red Honda that has 12,000 kilometers on it. She has some get up as far as motos go and has run great. She is a manual, but there isn’t a clutch to worry about. I control the shifting with my left foot and just let off the gas. I will probably get her washed ($. 59) so that we finish this last week in style.

The driving here could be labeled as “crazy” but compared to other cities in the region like Saigon, Bangkok, Kuala Lampur, etc. things in Vientiane are pretty tame. The traffic laws are often more like suggestions and it can initially be a little unnerving seeing everyone making blind right-hand turns and choosing to merge in one lane by first going the opposite direction into on-coming traffic. But because traffic itself isn’t that heavy apart from rush hour the chaos is manageable and no one really drives that fast so the possibilities of serious injury is minimized (I’m sure that makes those that are worried feel reassured). And now, that managed chaos has become quite fun.

other things:

- If anyone has any direct control over the value of the U.S. dollar, I need a strong couple of weeks. I don’t have time for your arguments concerning U.S. fiscal policy, and the strength of U.S.’s export sector ain’t the priority. I want to only spend $2.75 on green curry in Thailand, not $3. Let’s get on this.

- I will be getting back to the States on August 10th. I had pushed my flight back to the 14th to maybe visit a beach or two in Thailand, but I will enjoy that week before classes start to catch up with a lot of you. Reality is setting back in that I have responsibilities back home.

- I am typing this at my house, while a friend is watching Confessions of a Shopaholic in Thai with his Lao girlfriend. Oh the posts that could have been written this summer.

- I’m training for a half marathon that we’ll run when we get back to Chiang Mai, Thailand. I’m in decent shape and have been running some the last month, but 13.1 miles is going to be rough. Some friendly soccer matches against some Lao have helped the training.

No comments:

Post a Comment